Partner Visa Program

You’ve met the love of your life and the both of you have decided to make a permanent home out of Australia. What’s next?  

The good news is that the Partner Visa Program allows an Australian (citizen or permanent resident) to sponsor their overseas partner (married or de-facto) to permanently reside in Australia. 

Getting your visa sorted will be the last thing on your mind, ironically it’s probably the most important element to your relationship.  While a Partner visa application is considered a pretty straightforward process, it does require a substantial volume of documentation to evidence that your love is indeed genuine and continuing. 

About The Visa 

The Partner visa program is a two-step (grant) process.  Depending on your location at the time of application, you may be eligible for either the: 

  • Partner Visa Subclass 820 (temporary) and 801 (permanent), if the applicant is applying from Australia; or the
  • Partner Visa Subclass 309 (temporary) and 100 (permanent), if the applicant is applying from overseas. 

Once two years have passed (from the time of application) and assuming that the love with your Australian partner is still as strong as ever, you will be eligible to submit further documentation to request for your permanent visa to be assessed.

The Visa Application Process

Similar to the grant process, the visa application will also take place across two stages:

Two Stage Visa Application Process
  • Stage 1: The Australian partner will need to lodge a Sponsorship application to evidence that they meet certain requirements as an eligible sponsor.
  • Stage 2: The submission of the Partner Visa application.

Proof of Love 

Although it can be rather difficult to evidence your love through documentation, the Department of Home Affairs is pretty clear-cut on the four pillars of evidence that must be provided:

  • joint ownerships of assets
  • loan documents entered in both names
  • sharing of utility bills and lease arrangements
  • documents proving your living arrangements
  • letters sent to the same address
    explanation of how household duties are shared between you and your partner.
Social matters:
  • proof of joint friends.
  • invitations to social events made out to the both of you.
  • attendance together as a couple to social events.
  • proof that the both of you are in a long-term and committed relationship.
  • evidence of how you stay in touch if you’re apart.
  • evidence of combined personal matters such as wills.

Including Dependent Applicants From A Previous Relationship 

The Partner Visa allows for the inclusion of any dependent children from a previous relationship.  

What you will need, is to prove that full custodial rights over the child have been granted to you, with the consent from your previous partner allowing for the child to be relocated to Australia; and financial dependence of the child on you and your Australian partner. 

The Prospective Marriage Option

Also known as the fiance/fiancee visa, the Prospective Marriage (Subclass 300) visa allows a visa holder to enter and remain in Australia for up to 9 months in order to marry their Australian Partner.  

The visa application process is similar to the Partner visa program, it requires an approved sponsorship from your Australian partner and demands for significant documentation needed to prove the genuineness of the relationship. 

Getting Started With VEVS

When you come onboard with us, we will guide you through the comprehensive list of documents we need from you.

We’ll also be there to provide advice and liaise on your behalf with the Department of Home Affairs.

While the entire visa application process can be long and drawn-out, rest assured that we will be with you all along the way. You can count on us.