Private health insurance in Australia, is this required?

The Australian Government requires every overseas traveller to have adequate private health insurance in Australia during their stay, in the event of any contingencies or mishaps.

Having an insurance policy can be likened to owning a First Aid Kit . While you won’t know when you need it, you’ll be grateful that you have it when it comes to a stage of having to use it.

Student Health Insurance.

A Mandatory Condition of your Student Visa.

If you’re planning on starting your education in Australia, it’s vital to ensure that you’ve got your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) sorted. The absence of arranging for private health cover for yourself and any other dependents (such as your spouse/partner and/or dependent children), is a direct breach of Condition 8501 on your Student Visa.

So How Would I Go About Doing This?
There are essentially two ways to ensure you’ve got your OSHC sorted. You can either do it yourself, by directly liaising with the Australian Health Providers who specialise in Student Health Cover (and only a handful of Australian Insurance Companies provide this) or, on some occasions your Education Provider/ Agent may assist and coordinate this on your behalf.

Although it’s not a requirement for your Education Provider/Agent to do so, it’s a real given god-sent when they do! Thankfully for you, our Enrolment Team at VEVS Global will take care of this and liaise with Health Providers to get this sorted, both for you and any dependents on your application.

A Trusted Partner of BUPA Insurance

We’ve been working with BUPA Insurance through the years and we’re definitely advocates for their services. BUPA provides a range of products applicable to the OSHC and most importantly, offers the minimum cover to ensure that you remain compliant with condition 8501.

Depending on which you choose, there are a range of products you can select from providing varying levels of medical and hospital cover for Student visa holders and their dependents.

Our Enrolments Team will work with you to explore and secure the most competitively priced OSHC to span the entire period of your stay in Australia. Don’t fret, you’re always in safe hands.

If I’m visiting Australia, will I need private health insurance in Australia?

If you hail from a country that isn’t a party to Reciprocal Health Care Arrangements with Australia, then you will need to arrange for your own private health insurance in Australia to cover your entire stay in Australia. This ensures that if you run into unfortunate accidents or illnesses, you will have access to private medical care in Australia and may not be subject to significant out-of-pocket expenses.

However, if your country of citizenship does have Reciprocal Health Care Arrangement in place, you won’t have to worry as you and any dependents names on your visa application will be eligible to access medical care under the Australian Medicare system.

At present, there are just 11 countries who are parties to the Arrangement, they are:

INew Zealand
IRepublic of Ireland
IUnited Kingdom

Your PY program and general skilled migration

Get Your Health Cover Sorted with VEVS Global

It’s mandatory for your private health insurance to commence on the day of your arrival in Australia so it’s important to have this organised as soon as possible.

Hit up the team with your Insurance queries, we’ll provide you with suggestions and recommendations to make sure that your stay in Australia is safe and well-taken care of.